We’re officially half-way through our 37th week and it’s time to pack that hospital bag! Brian and I want to be ready to go at a moment’s notice if active labor starts, no running around finding things or getting ready, just relaxing as much as possible and enjoying the experience. There are so many lists out there for what you should or shouldn’t bring with you to your birth-center or the hospital. It’s hard to know what you will actually need. After talking to my sister and doing lots of research, here’s what we’ve decided to (over) pack.
- Super-soft slippers – I bought these from Amazon, everything I’ve read and been told says hospital floors are gross, and real shoes are too big of a hastle.
- Toiletries – I got these bottles from Amazon, they are easy squeeze and the perfect size for travel/the hospital. I put organic coconut oil in the small tub, then body wash, shampoo, and conditioner, in the larger squeeze bottles. I mixed organic witch hazel and aloe in the small squeeze bottle to add to my peri-bottle for afterbirth washing comfort. I’m also bringing Schmidt’s Jasmine Tea deodorant, these toothbrushes, and toothpaste. I don’t think I’ll be bringing any makeup, I’m not huge with the makeup anyway and I just highly doubt I’ll be in the mood after birth.
- Butt paste/spray – Um, let’s just be real here and acknowledge that hemorrhoids are an inevitable side-effect of pushing a gigantic baby out of your vagine. I am bringing both the paste and spray from Earth Mama Angel Baby.
- Boppy – For breastfeeding ease reasons.
- Fridet – Better than the hospital provided peri-bottle, better pressure and easier to squeeze.
- Chapstick – Burt’s Bees mint is a fav.
- Nipple balm
- Comfy robe – I’m bringing one from Motherhood. It’s super soft, cozy, and long.
- Nightgowns – The gowns the hospital provides might be all I use but I’m bringing nursing gowns from Motherhood just in case I find them easier/more comfortable. I’ve heard whatever you use will be blood spattered so I’m prepared to ruin them.
- Nursing bras/Tanks – I bought mine from Bravado. I have really loved their products throughout my pregnancy. I’m bringing 2 bras and 2 tanks. I do have gigantic boobs already so we’ll see how well these suckers work when all the milk comes in.
- Big underwear – I just am bringing Target granny panties. I don’t even know if I’ll bother with them but I’m bringing them just in case.
- Nursing pads – I’m bringing 1 pair reusable Bamboobies overnights, and 1 pair Bamboobies reusable normal.
- Organic breast wipes – To keep the area clean and fresh between feedings, also to prevent mastitis or any infection/thrush.
- Pads/adult diapers – My sister LOVED adult diapers for post-partum bleeding. I bought Always brand, and will bring Always giant pads. The hospital provides mesh underwear but I don’t know how many pair they’ll give me or if I’ll hate them.
- Snacks – Organic nut and berry packs, RX Bars, coconut water, Justin’s nut butter and pretzel packs, teriyaki seaweed. I don’t care if the hospital says no eating, I get really grumpy if I don’t so I will be sneaking snacks. Also these are for Brian in case the cafeteria is closed.
- Comfy going home outfit – I’m just wearing one of the nightgowns or the pair of pajamas I’m bringing. We live about 10 minutes away and are heading straight home, I don’t need to be glamorous.
- Phone chargers
- Wallet – with all the necessary I.D. and documents needed.
- Organic flushable wipes – You aren’t supposed to wipe after birth but I like to feel clean so I’m bringing these to use, they are gentle and I can use them to pat clean rather than wipe in combo with my Fridet. The ones I’m using are by Babyganics.
- Speakers – We’re bringing our bluetooth speaker, in case I want music whilst I give birth.
Brian will just add his stuff to my bag, basically an outfit or 2 and contacts/solution.
- 2 swaddles – 1 zip (Woombie) and 1 wrap style (Aden and Anais).
- Nail clippers and file (Fridababy).
- 2 outfits – with attached fold-over cuffs and 2 without in 2 sizes because we have no idea how big she’ll be.
- A pair of mittens.
- Butt balm (Earth Baby Angel Mama).
- A few diapers (Bambo Nature).
- 1 pair of socks.